Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Playing in the Sand

I am having a blast trying new tools in technology. I still worry somewhat about trying a new tool that does essentially the same as a tool I just learned. To date I feel comfortable with the following:

Blogging - getting hooked. I check my blog and blogs in our class many times a day.
Google - Awesome. Google Earth is fantastic and the tools within igoogle and google reader are great.
Skype - Hired a teacher using skype for the first time. That certainly opens the door to a large pool of candidates.
Bubbleshare - By far the quickest tool I have laerned. It was so easy to upload pictures and have them ready to share.
Wiki - I just started my own wiki for my project. It is in the infant stage but ready to grow.
Delicious - I am overwhelmed with the amount of information in this site.
Google Docs - This has been helpful for sharing documents but I wish it would work to share files as well. This could be the fault of the user not the program.

I remember a prof telling me that technology is great but it has to be user friendly or the trade off for time spent doesn't make sense. By sharing what works well can help us all.

2 comments:

darcyhelmink said...

boy do i hear you,. I just opened an gmail account and I was able to load powerpoint presentations into my project for this class. delicious really amazed me becuase i tried it with Alex but just couldn't get it going. This time around it seems good to go. Also, just fyi, I following clarence fisher's blog and he suggested news sites. I'm actually trying to do it and it's much faster. darcy

darcyhelmink said...

Duane, I have to admit that reading you blog often overwhelms me. I read through the list of what you're familiar with and after reading other blogs though boy am I screwed!! I was kind of pleasantly surprised to see that I actually know what you're talking about. Ya Hoo!! My lastest thing is facebook, a gmail account and google documents. the gmail account and google documents have really helped with my project. I also have to say that I kind of forgot about blogging, wikkis, skype and chat rooms. thanks alot, I actually feel much better now. darcy