Saturday, March 7, 2009

Copyright Continued

As a follow up to my earlier post I want to discuss the importance of crediting the people that do the initial work. After watching the copyright video using Disney animation, the credits seemed to go on forever. The people who initially did the work were getting their recognition. Our school is trying to teach the importance of giving credit to the sources students use. Grade 9-12 students are expected to use APA format when listing resources for all papers. Our TIL has instructed students to have references or "credits" for all video productions. Recently, during one of our pep rallies, the SRC made a video. At the end of the video they credited sources, "actors", etc. This action has become part of their educational lives. These students are much further ahead in understanding copyright than when I was a high school student.
I believe there has been a shift in the thinking in terms of copyright. Students may have been worried about being penalized for plagairism, now, they understand the importance of giving credit. Students continue to grow and impress me!

1 comment:

The important thing is not to stop questioning said...

Youth are beginning to learn about copyright earlier through the use of technology but they still need to be reminded that certain things are considered copyright infringements such as using images. I know that although I learned about APA in high school I still learned a lot when I read through the information on copyright regarding internet in our class. I like your idea about helping youth to realize the importance of giving credit rather than scaring them into citing sources.