Friday, March 6, 2009

Why copy?

My latest adventure allowed me to look at the topic of copyright. I was overwhelmed at the amount of information but began to break the information into parts and it seemed less intimidating. My adventure began with a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJn_jC4FNDo that explained copyright, duration and fair use. The information was helpful and gave me my first clear thought about copyright. If we use common sense and our intentions are well suited, there should be little fear in regards to copyright information. Lessig ridicules copyright as it inhibits creativity. Since copyright is largely about the financial gain I understand the desire to be paid for your work. However, if the intention is to use pictures, videos,etc to further learning and not gain financialy, it should be embraced.
After viewing the many articles and videos about copyright, I believe a person could make a case for material being copyright in almost any instance. Intention of doing what is ethically right is the key. You may have noticed I have repeatred myself using the term intention, that is my intention.
The term copyleft allows for freedom of use. I would like to think my blog is an example of copyleft. Feel free to use any information. I am impressed with how many sites offer free use of their material. Sharing of information without seeking financial gain, what a novel idea. An example would be www.public-domain-image.com This site allows for the public to use images without a cost. There are numerous places to find free music, images, etc., you just have to be willing to take that extra time to search.
In schools we most often see the misuse of copyright in terms of plagairism. Each year, we continuously teach students about plagairism but we now also have parent nights to teach parents about plagairism. As parents are helping their children with reports it is beneficial to educate them as well. I am sure it is not the parents intention (there's that word again) to plagiarize but they may not fully understand what can or can not be done.
Finding information for reports is very easy to do. One right click of the mouse and work is done for us. My advice: carefully examine what and how you use information from others, give credit to others for the work they did, and make sure your intentions are morally strong.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Connecting this to your school - Just wondering if you will discuss the issue of Copyright (and possibly information literacy) with your staff. How many of them are helping students build skills in this area?

Duane Hauk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duane Hauk said...

The staff is already discussing copyright and searching with a purpose while being able to critique the source. The new information I am gaining will help foster further learning for both staff and students.

Jim S. said...

"copyleft"....very nice! For most of us if someone used are stuff...that would be great!