Thursday, March 12, 2009

On Line PD

Wow! I couldn't have had asked for better luck in selecting the online PD I found. The information was relevant, helpful and interesting. This PD will help me a great deal with my class project.
The main message of the online PD is that when using Web 2.0 it is about student learning! We selecet tools, try them, experience what students experience and we as educators play an active role in learning. Wendy Drexler outlines the abundance of tools, gives examples, see what others are doing, get new ideas and encourage contribution. She made this look so easy and inviting. Wendy outlines how safe it is to play with a wiki and how new users do not have to worry about "messing" things up. The message of "ideas for the classroom" is loud and clear.
How does this help me with my project? First of all it excites me. Secondly, my group is trying to develop a wiki school division use to help teachers. Wendy outlines points to consider when trying to encourage others to be involved.
1. Start with a few teachers at a time. (We may be looking too big!)
2. Non threatening environment. (We need to keep it safe)
3. Regular hands on meetings. (How? something to consider)
4. Encourage experimentation.
5. Not required to use in class.
6. Hold outs are your best critics. (Should be no shortage)

I also viewed a presentation by Tanya Gray and Aimee Stoffel. They showed a pilot project preparing students for the 21st century in using technology having a personal laptop. The presentation showed actual student work. I liked how they shared what they did but would have liked to know more "how" they were able to do this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds good Duane. Glad to hear you found something timely and that generated further excitement. I will check their presentations out. Just to let folks know, this was the K-12 online Classroom pd.

darcyhelmink said...

thanks for the mention of the presentation. It might apply to me. I'm going to see if I can find it. thanks darcy